Best No Pull Dog Harness For Dachshunds
Dachshunds have long backs, short legs, and a puffy chest, so it can be tough to choose the right dog harness for their unique shape. No worries, we can help you find the perfect harness that will fit your dachshund perfectly.
This post contains affiliate links. See our disclaimer for more details.
After a good amount of research, I was able to find the best dog harnesses for dachshunds! The ChokeFree Velpro Mesh Pet Shoulder Harness Collar is my number one choice.
Dog Harness Vs. Dog Collar: Which is Best?
Dog Harness Wins, especially for Dachshunds! A dog body harness is designed to reduce any strain on a dog’s neck and redistributes pull pressure across their body. Dachshunds are Very Prone to a spinal issue called, IVDD. Using a body harness for your dachshund can greatly reduce the strain on their neck and back, which helps reduce the risk of IVDD.
Why I Switched to a Dog Body Harness:
While hiking with my two doxies, Reno and Bastian, I noticed that Bastian tended to pull so much that his neck collar would make him cough and hack out loud. He loves to walk, so he literally helps pull me up the big hills during the hike. Reno was a little slower on the hike, so he didn’t have as many issues with pulling unless he darted for a squirrel or rabbit. So, I decided to try a dog body harness for both of my dogs. That truly was the best solution!
What is the Best Collar to use for a Dog That Pulls?
Definitely go with a dog body collar instead of a neck collar. The best dog harnesses for dachshunds is the ChokeFree Velpro Mesh Pet Shoulder Harness Collar.
What to Look For: Dachshund Harness Features:
Type of Body Harness
Proper Fit, Measurement
Dog Harness Material, Durability
1. Type of Body Harness:
No Pull Harness: This type of harness will tighten slightly when your dog pulls on the leash. The pull is felt under the dog’s arms and chest instead of around his neck, unlike regular dog collars. Pay close attention with this type of harness to make sure it is comfortable and won’t cause any irritation under the dog’s arms. Look for soft comfortable material to prevent irritation.
Back Support Harness: This type of harness will support a dachshund’s back, and is special for IVDD conditions. It will extend farther down the dog’s back and give more back support. This special harness also usually comes with a supportive handle on the back to help lift the whole dog if needed.
2. Proper Fit, Measurement:
It is important for a dachshund harness to have a proper and comfortable fit to allow the dog a good range of motion. To check your dachshund’s size, measure his neck size, the girth around his chest (widest part of his body), and his length from his neck to the top of his tail.
- Standard Dachshunds average 8-9 inches tall and can weigh up to 32 pounds.
- Miniature Dachshunds are usually around 5-6 inches tall and weigh up to 11-13 pounds.
Here is a YouTube Video to help you: How to Measure a Dog’s Neck & Chest Size for a Harness
3. Dog Harness Material:
- Mesh Harness: On hot summer days, Mesh is a great material to keep your doxie cool. But, make sure to pick higher quality mesh harnesses because the cheaper mesh durability isn’t as strong as other harness materials.
- Nylon Harness: This type of material tends to be less expensive than most. They are easy to clean and come in many bright colors. They tend to be a little more durable than the mesh version.
- Fabric Harness: There are so many cute fabric dog harness designs available. They tend to be pretty easy to clean. Their main purpose though is to dress up your doxie, not necessarily to be an active harness for daily walks or hiking trails.
- Leather Harnesses: A nice quality leather harness may cost a little more than other harnesses, but they are so much more durable and flexible. As long as it is good high-quality leather, it should be a comfortable long-lasting choice for your dachshund.
#1 Best Harness for Dachshunds:
The Choke Free Velpro Dog Harness is made of cooling mesh material. This is a one piece, non-choking dog body harness that has a special Vel-lock closure. It comes in many colors and sizes that will fit dogs who measure 11 inches up to 20 inches around the chest. They recommend measuring the dog’s chest just behind the front legs and going up an inch to allow for maximum comfort.
The material is lightweight, soft, machine washable, and Easy to put on (YEAH!). Its main support is around the dog’s chest, so, no more choking on those fun walks. This is a great choice for Dachshunds!
Top Dachshund Harnesses:
|#1||ChokeFree Velpro Mesh Pet Shoulder Harness Collar|
|#2||Comfort Fit Metric USA (Dog Harnesses for small dogs)|
|#3||Puppia Soft Dog Harness B|
|#4||Ruffwear Front Range All Day Adventure Harness for Dogs|
2. Comfort Fit Metric USA (Dog Harness for Small Dogs)
This no pull harness is EASY to put on and take off small dogs, like Dachshunds. It is full of comfortable soft padding (interior and exterior) for your dog. It is made with special “Metric 66” material that provides a comfortable hugging effect to the dog and will reduce the stress and tension when you take your dog for a walk. The special padding decreases the strain on the lower neck and throat caused by pulling. This harness is washable, breathable, and lightweight.
The Puppia Dog harness is made of mesh/polyester material for extra comfort. The soft mesh design is durable and easy to clean. It is great for those hot summer days or those muddy winter walks. It is super easy to put on your dog (no more wrestling with your dog to go for a walk). It is choke free and is made with soft and breathable material to prevent irritation of your dog’s underarm skin.
4. Ruffwear Front Range All Day Adventure Harness for Dogs
This dog harness is tough and super unique. It is specially made for strong Pullers! It is built for those more rugged walks and hikes in the wilderness. It has a front leash attachment that encourages dogs to keep up the pace with their owners. It is designed to redirect dogs that are pullers and keeps them facing forward. It also has a back leash attachment. This harness is lightweight, durable, and designed for easy on and off. Super padded for lots of comfort and includes reflective trim to help your dog stand out day or night. It also comes with a cute ID pouch for safe storage of your dog’s id tags.
5. Embark Adventure Dog Harness
The Embark Adventure harness is EASY to put on and take off of your dachshund. Note: It does not fit extra small dogs under 10 pounds. It has a couple of color and size choices. This is a No-pull dog harness that is durable, flexible, and comfortable for your dachshund. It is made up of no-rip nylon and anti-chafe padding.
It also has compatible seat belt attachments. It has a no pull front lead leash attachment point that is very strong. This allows your dog to learn how to stop pulling and heel during your daily walks. It still has a back leash attachment as well. This also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It works great on all shapes and sizes. This harness is compatible for smaller breeds: Beagle, French Bulldog, Yorkshire, Boston Terrier, Dachshund, Miniature Schnauzer, Cocker & King Charles Spaniel, Pug.
- Small Size: Stomach 16 – 24” inches | Base of Neck: 16 – 24” inches
- Medium – Stomach 24 – 31” | Base of Neck: 17 – 25”
- Large – Stomach 31 – 43”| Base of Neck – 18 – 26”
- XL – Stomach 43 – 47” | Base of Neck – 19 – 32”
6. EcoBark Max Comfort and Control Dog Harness
The EcoBark Harness is a No choke and No Pull Harness. EcoBark’s Best Selling Eco-Friendly Harness, made from ROSH Tested, not toxic mesh and nature-friendly straps created from recycled water bottles.
Ultra Soft and Highly Durable. Eco-Friendly No Fade Straps Made from Recycled Water Bottles.
Innovative No-Choke design protects your dog’s fragile trachea and throat with extra plush piping around the neck opening.
It is great for walking, running and hiking. The harness will hug the dog with a Flexible Air-Mesh which Maintains your Dog’s Natural Movements.
The Harness Hug Measurements:
- X-Small: 4 to 6 lbs Base of Neck- 7.5 in Chest Girth: 9-13 inches
- Small: 6 to 10 pounds Base of Neck- 9.8 in Chest Girth: 12-18 inches
- Medium: 10 to 17 lbs Base of Neck- 12.5 in Chest Girth: 14-21 inches
- Large: 18 to 27 lbs Base of Neck- 14 in Chest Girth:19-29
- XL 28 to 47 lbs
- XXL: 48 to 65 lbs
7. EzyDog Chest Plate Custom Fit Dog Harness
This harness is your more Basic but still durable design. The EzyDog dog harness has an ergonomic EVA foam chest plate for extra comfort. Easy on and off, comfortable, washable, and durable. It has reflective stitching throughout the harness design. Based on your dog’s GIRTH measurement. If you are close to the end of a size, bump up to the next size: girth (Inches):
- XS 12”-19”
- SM 15”-24”
- MD 18”-29”
- LG 19”-33”
8. Muttitude Dog Harness & Leash Set for Small Dogs
Walk your dog in style with this World Design Collection harness and leash set from Muttitude. Whether you’re hitting up the dog park or just going downtown, you want your dog to feel comfortable, confident, and in control. It is crafted with breathable, and form-fitting comfort. These body harnesses are more gentle than standard collars. They feature several vibrant colors and patterns. They are made with Inner mesh padded material lining. This harness has soft edges and is machine washable. (not intended for dogs over 20 pounds)
Available Sizes (Chest Girth):
- Small: 11.5” 4-6 lb Puppies, Teacup breeds, Chihuahua
- Medium: 12” 6-8 lb Maltese, Yorkie
- Large: 14.5” 9-14 lb Shi-Tzu, Mini Poodle, Rat Terrier
- X-Large: 17” 12-18 lb Boston Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Dachshund, Other small breeds