Secure Your Dog:
Whether your dog is dressed up in a Halloween costume or not, make sure your dog has his ID tag on his collar or has a microchip. If your dog gets spooked by kids in their costumes, he may run away. At least this way, he can be easily identified to be safely returned to you.
Keep your dog secured or away from the door when you are giving out candy to little trick or treaters.
Don’t leave your dog outside in the yard on Halloween. Some trick or treaters could tease or injure your dog on Halloween night.
Toxic To Dogs:
Candy: Dogs will easily sniff out pieces of candy if they are within reach. They will eat it…wrapper and all! Halloween candy is very toxic for your dog. Keep it stored way up high.
Here are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning: vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. Take your pup to the vet immediately if they consume any Halloween treats.
Food: If your dog accidentally eats decorative Indian corn or moldy Halloween pumpkins, they could get a nasty stomach ache.
Flowers: Mums are a gorgeous flower many of us display around the house in the fall season. Don’t let your dog eat mums, according to ASPCA, mums are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.
Halloween decorations can be hazardous to your dog. Keep electrical cords, cobwebs, and spooky dangling décor up high enough and secured so your dog can’t reach them. Your dog could chew on those “fun looking” cords and get electrocuted.
Glow Sticks: Keep glow sticks away from dogs. Luckily, most glow stick liquid is non-toxic, but can still make your dog very sick.
Unfamiliar Faces in Costume:
Halloween costumes make familiar people look very different to your dog. Be aware that your new spooky look may frighten them!
When we had a Halloween party, my dog, Bastian, didn’t recognize us and went right into a seizure. I felt horrible! We now keep him in a secure and quiet area during Halloween events.