Dog Food Bowl Buyer’s Guide
How Do You Select a Good Slow Feeder Bowl?
There are many important factors to consider when choosing the right bowl for your dog. Is the bowl dishwasher safe, what material is it made out of, is it BPA Free? Most importantly, will it stop your dog from eating way too fast, causing digestive issues, obesity, or a terrible disease called Bloat.
This article contains Affiliate Links. Please review our Disclaimer for details.
After researching 20+ dog food bowls, I have found the Best Slow Feeder Dog Bowls. I decided to buy this Slow Feeder Dog Bowl for my Dog, it is the perfect bowl for his overeating issues. The price is great on Amazon and this bowl does an awesome job at slowing down my dog when he eats his meals. After several trips through the dishwasher, this is truly a strong and durable dog food bowl.
Are Slow Feeder Bowls Good For Dogs?
Slow feeder dog bowls promote healthy digestion. Some dogs eat their dog food so fast they start to choke or vomit immediately after eating. Other dogs engorge themselves until they are so full, they get a stomach ache or cause digestive issues. I recommend using Slow Feeder Dog Bowls to help dogs eats slower and promote healthy digestion.
If your dog continues to eat too much food too fast, they increase their chances of getting a terrible disease called Bloat. Read more on Bloat from PetMD.com.
Why Use a Slow Feeder Bowl?
Slow Feeder Dog Bowls not only help promote better digestion, they also add in a fun challenge to mentally stimulate your dog every time they eat. Working through the bowl to find the food allows your dog to use their brainpower and problem-solving skills to reduce Boredom and Separation Anxiety Issues. Need some more ideas to keep your dog busy, check out our recommended Boredom Buster Dog Toys.
Tip: It isn’t healthy to allow your dog to graze all day long, so it is recommended to only put down the dog food about 20-30 minutes each time they have a meal. Learn some more dog nutrition tips from the ASPCA.
What to Look for in a Dog Food Bowl:
When you shop for a slow feeder dog bowl, make sure to check the following important features:
- What Material is the bowl made of?
- Does it have a non-slip base?
- Is it Easy to Clean?
Make sure the Ceramic Bowl is certified for food use and is coated with a lead-free glaze. Finding a safe ceramic dog food bowl can be like a needle in a haystack. I couldn’t find a safe ceramic slow feeder bowl on Amazon, just regular ceramic dog food bowls.
If your dog food bowl is plastic-based, always check to make sure it is at least BPA Free. PVC, & Phthalate Free are a bonus. If you use a plastic dog bowl, occasionally check the color of your dog’s nose. If your dog’s nose starts to turn gray or brownish, and it used to be black.. the plastic could be the culprit. Make sure to rotate different types of bowls to keep this from happening or stop using plastic bowls.
Silicone tends to be a safe choice for a dog bowl and is slip resistant. The down side is if you have a dog that loves to chew, it can easily be chewed up.
If you have a dog that is prone to having seizures, Avoid using Aluminum-Based Dog Food Bowls.
Top 3 Slow Feeder Dog Food Bowls:
Slow Feeder Dog Bowls are highly recommended by veterinarians to help improve digestion naturally by slowing down meals. Lets take a look at our top choices.
Neater Slow Feeder Bowl : This slow feeder dog bowl gets my vote for number 1 choice, this is the Best! The Neater Slow Feed Bowl is made of Stainless Steel, a material trusted by Veterinarians and Dog Trainers everywhere. It helps reduce dog food gulping, bloat, and rapid eating habits. It is dishwasher safe. Unfortunately, the only down side is this bowl doesn’t have a nonslip base to it. I suggest getting a non-slip mat, tray, or elevated bowl holder to go with it.
Pros: Stainless Steel, Dishwasher Safe.
Cons: No Non-slip Base
This bowl slows the dog down while they eat and promotes fun, healthy eating habits. It is a reasonable price on Amazon, it’s dishwasher safe, and has a non-slip base. It is made of hard plastic and is BPA, PVC, & Phthalate free. This bowl comes in a large or small size and various colors to choose from. Here is the slow feeder dog bowl Product video.
I love this bowl design, but made it my number 2 choice because it is made of plastic.
Pros: Dishwasher Safe, Non-Slip Base.
This is pretty neat. It is made of durable Food-Grade and BPA-Free Silicone and the dog feeder is built right into the mat itself. It includes a stainless steel water bowl. Comes in multiple colors.
Pros: Non-Slip Base, dishwasher safe, BPA Free Silicone, foldable for travel
More Slow Feeder Dog Food Bowls to Consider:
4. Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog The Mess Proof Elevated Bowls: If your dog loves to eat in a super messy way, this bowl is for you! It comes with two Non-Tip Double Diner Stainless Steel Food Dish and the stand. Spilled water drains into the lower reservoir while spilled food stays off the floor, so it can be safety reused or easily discarded. Unfortunately, this dog food bowl combo isn’t a slow feeder. So, you can add in the Neater Slow Feeder Bowl (our #1 choice above). Then, you have the best of both worlds, no spilling and slower eating.
My dog loves to push his food out of his bowl. Not sure why he does, but this bowl has been a big help with his messy habit. Neater Feeder Deluxe Elevated Dog Bowls are spill proof!
Pros: Stainless Steel, dishwasher Safe, Non-Slip, Spill Proof.
Cons: Needs a slow feeder bowl insert
5. Decyam Dog Bowl Slow Feeder: BPA Free, dishwasher safe, and has a Non-Slip base. It helps promote healthy eating by slowing your dog down from eating too fast.
Pros: BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Slip Base.
This Slow Feeder Dog Bowl has a fun puzzle design to help your pup slow down at meal time. It is dishwasher safe, and BPA, PVC, and PHTHALATE FREE.
Pros: Non-Slip Base, dishwasher safe, BPA, PVC, and PHTHALATE FREE.
This Dog Food Slow-Bowl promotes healthy slow eating, prevents overeating, obesity, and bloat.
Pros: Non-Slip Base, dishwasher safe, BPA FREE.
8. Jasgood Dog Feeder Slow Bowl: The Slow Eating Bowl is dishwasher safe, free of BPA & Phthalate materials. This is a great solution to help encourage your dog to eat at a slower pace. Now, this does Not have a non-slip base to it. So, I suggest getting a non-slip mat or tray to go with it: Easyology Premium Pet Food Tray
Pros: BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe.
Cons: No Non-slip Base, Plastic
9. Hyper Pet Lickimat Slow Feeder Dog Mat: This product is more for wet dog food. This is an alternative to the slow feeder bowls. Its unique pattern helps promote healthy teeth and gums and promotes fresh breath.
Pros: Reduces Boredom, dishwasher safe, non-slip base.
Cons: Says “non-toxic”, doesn’t specify BPA Free, Plastic.
The Green Interactive Feeder is made of hard plastic (phthalates free), non-slip base, and is dishwasher safe. Mentally challenge your dog with every meal.
Pros: Phthalates free, dishwasher safe, non-slip base
Cons: Doesn’t specify BPA Free, Plastic
Interactive Dog Food Bowls:
These unique Dog Food Bowls will help keep your dog occupied for hours.
Dog Food Scoops:
Using a measuring cup or a dog food scoop can help your dog maintain a healthier weight because you are giving the right amount of dog food daily. Estimating a dog’s food amount can lead to overeating or not getting enough food.
- Petfactors Pet Food Scoops: These dog food scoopers will help you measure out the correct amount of food for your dog. They are made of food-grade plastic and are dishwasher safe. They can be used on dry or wet dog food.