Easter Dangers For Small Dogs
Spring is in the air, which means the Easter Holiday is right around the corner. Dogs enjoy new holiday experiences too. They won’t shy away from snooping in those sweet smelling Easter Baskets or trying to sneak a taste of that delicious Easter Dinner. Unfortunately, this puts them at great risk of being poisoned.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. Please review our disclosure for details.
The 5 most common Easter Dangers for your dog include: Spring Flowers, Chocolate Candy, Artificial Sweeteners, Fatty Foods, and Easter Basket Grass. Check out our Free Printable List Below to help you keep your pup safe this Easter.
Toxic Easter Plants:
Fertilizer & Pesticides
Spring Flowers around Easter time are truly beautiful, but can make your dog very sick. If you have a dog that loves to dig and chew up your garden, avoid planting the following spring flowers, because they are deadly.
Poisonous Spring Flowers:
- Azalea (coma, death)
- Bluebells (slows heart rate)
- Cyclamen (roots cause death)
- Foxglove (heart failure)
- Lily of the Valley (stops the heart)
- Oleander (death)
- Rhododendron (seizures, cardiac arrest)
- Sago Palms (liver failure)
These lovely spring flowers are toxic and will make your dog very sick.
- Wild cherry tree
Are Easter Lilies Harmful to Dogs?
If your small dog takes a bite of an Easter Lily, he will most likely get diarrhea and an upset tummy. If he eats a whole lot more than just a bite of the Lily, take him to the vet to prevent an intestinal blockage. Even though Lilies aren’t necessarily “deadly” to larger dogs, they can still cause Intestinal and Digestive Issues in smaller dogs.
Are Easter Lilies Toxic to other pets?
Those beautiful Easter Lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. If a cat sips a small amount of water the lily was sitting in, smells the lily pollen and licks their nose, or consumes the leaves or pedals of the lily, it can kill the cat. Ingesting a small amount can result in kidney failure and death. So, if you have a cat, don’t allow the Lily plant in the house, simple as that.
Many folks start planting their spring flowers around Easter Weekend, which means using toxic fertilizers and pesticide chemicals to help the plants grow. Keep your dog away from your gardening chemicals, they are very poisonous to dogs.
Flowers That are Safe for Dogs:
My husband and I really look forward to planting new flowers in our garden every spring. But, we do have two dogs of our own and we need to keep their safety in mind. There are plenty of dog-friendly flowers that you can plant this year with less worry about your curious pup getting poisoned in the garden. Check out our list of Non-Toxic, Dog-Safe Flowers For Your Garden.
Toxic Easter Treats:
Artificial Food Coloring
Why is Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?
Our beloved Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called theobromine and caffeine. A dog’s system can’t break down theobromine and caffeine chemicals the way that people can.
The darker the chocolate, the more potent it is to your dog. Baker’s chocolate is the deadliest of them all. Even though white chocolate doesn’t contain enough of the theobromine chemical to cause severe issues, it is still fatty and can cause pancreatitis.
If you know your dog ate chocolate, don’t wait for symptoms to occur, call your veterinarian right away. The earlier the treatment, the better. Your dog has a better chance of recovery if treated quickly.
Raisins and Grapes are toxic to dogs because they can cause kidney failure and death.
Mmm.. can we say more hot cross buns please? Keep these sweet babies to yourself, don’t share with your dog. Hot cross buns contain dried fruits like currants and raisins. If your dog eats even a small quantity of these dried raisins, they can suffer severe kidney failure, which can be deadly.
Fatty Foods, sweet desserts, dairy products, and even meats, like ham, can cause pancreatitis in your dog. Avoid feeding your dog table scraps to keep them safe.
Easter Foods that are Toxic to Dogs:
- Mushrooms: Shock Death (some varieties)
- Walnuts / Macadamia Nuts: Muscle & Nervous System Damage
- Onions & Garlic: Blood Cell Damage, Anemia
- Fatty Foods / Desserts: Pancreatitis
- Dairy: Excessive Diarrhea
- Alcohol: Coma, death
Coloring Eggs is my favorite thing to do at Easter Time. But, did you know that some food coloring isn’t safe for your dog? Artificial food dye is known to cause behavioral issues, cancerous tumors, and allergic reactions in dogs. You should avoid giving your dog any treats that contain food coloring.
If you make your own homemade dog treats at home and want to use a safe alternative, use all-natural food coloring instead. If your pup gets into the food coloring containers, contact your vet. Consuming too much dye can make your dog very sick.
Sugar free candies and baked goods that contain the Xylitol chemical are Toxic to Dogs. You can find this stuff lurking in your toothpaste, bubble gum, and some gummy vitamins. Xylitol releases insulin in your dog’s blood stream at a rapid rate, which can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar. This nasty chemical can also cause liver failure and even death.
Easter grass is adorable in its range of rainbow colors, but it gets everywhere.. just like Christmas Tinsel. Keep vacuuming it up if you see it on the floor. Dogs may swallow it in mouthfuls, which can cause an obstruction that may need to be surgically removed.
What Should I do If my Dog is Poisoned?
If your dog has consumed any of the above Easter Items, don’t hesitate to call your vet immediately. Don’t wait for symptoms to appear, consuming any of these toxins is an emergency and can be fatal.